Skip to main content

Medical Marijuana in Utah: My Experience Getting My Card!

 I recently went through the process of getting my medical cannabis card in Utah! I wanted to write what my experience was and what steps I took to receive my card as I don't see much information online other than what's displayed on Utah's Medical Cannabis website. And although the process seems unattainable or complicated, it truly isn't. My process took less than a week to do from getting an appointment scheduled to receiving my card.

    Being a longtime resident of Utah, I always understood that things work a little differently around here. For example, our peculiar liquor laws that just a few years back allowed us to purchase 5% beer instead of 4% at retail stores and also lowering DUI limits to be some of the strictest in the nation. So, when Prop 2 came about, I knew that it wouldn't be that easy for marijuana to be legalized and sure enough it did pass, but not the one that was approved by voters, but instead a more tightly controlled came about. You can read more prop 2 here.

    As of June 2022, the following steps are required to get a Medical Cannabis card:

  1. Must be a Utah Resident.
  2. Must have at least one qualifying condition (Under What are the qualifying conditions?)
  3. Submit an application online.
  4. Meet in-person with a qualified medical provider.
  5. The medical provider has certified your eligibility for a medical cannabis card online; and
  6. Pay a $15 application fee online.

In my experience, I searched for a medical provider that was closest to me and called for a appointment for a Cannabis card recommendation. I was given a date two days ahead of when I called and was told to register myself with Utah's Electronic Verification System. The process was rather easy and I only had to put in my personal information which took less than 10 minutes.

    My Appointment was also rather easy I went in and spoke to the medical provider. My condition wasn't any that was listed so my file was sent to the Compassion Board who review each case manually, which was for me chronic back pain that I was dealing with due to a car accident I had a few years ago. My appointment took about 20 minutes and cost me $250. Afterwards I went back and paid my $15 to the state for my card and within 24 hours my card was emailed to me!

Overall, my experience was fantastic! Much easier and faster than I expected it to be. It seems that Utah is finally starting to get the ball rolling on allowing more people to have access to medical Cannabis, for example they also have just extended cannabis card renewals from 90 days to 6 months and with 14 dispensaries in Utah many who also offer deliveries. It's becoming much more convenient then what it was before.



Comments